Need more gellets? Refill here!

your shopping cart

your cart is empty
SHOP NOW

Are gel blaster balls toxic?

are gel blaster balls toxic

Gel Blasters are the newest innovation in the world of fun shooting sports. They are very similar to airsoft and paintball guns. But instead of shooting tiny hard plastic balls or paintballs, gel blasters shoot gel beads.

People, particularly parents, have expressed their concerns about the toxicity of the pellets coming from airsoft and paintball guns. So, it's understandable that you may want to know whether these gel beads are toxic as well.

Well, you're in luck. Because today, we are going to help you understand more about these gel beads and whether or not they're toxic to you, the environment, and your pets. Starting with: what are gel balls made of?

What Are Gel Balls Made Of?

Gel balls—also called jelly beads, gel beads, water beads, hydro orbs, water orbs, and so on—are made from super-absorbent polymer (SAP) water beads also known as sodium polyacrylate. They are basically water-absorbing balls that can absorb and contain water 100 to 1000 times their size.

The water beads don't come in the pack hydrated. They are sold as tiny dry pellets and have to absorb water for at least 2 to 4 hours to grow into their full size. Failure to fully grow your gel balls will cause them to malfunction once they're in the gel blasters. They're pretty much the same orbeez beads you'll find in craft stores.

So, Are They Toxic?

No, these gel blaster balls are not toxic. In fact, just about any type of jelly beads for children are non-toxic. There are even food-grade SAPs.

Despite being non-toxic, the ones used for gel blasters in particular aren't food-grade SAPs. That means you shouldn't try to eat or swallow these polymer beads, and should make sure they're stowed away securely from young children or pets.

Are Gel Balls Safe For The Environment, Pets, and People?

In general yes - polymer beads are safe for the environment, pets, and people. They burst on contact and evaporate almost immediately so there isn't any residue that may pollute your surroundings.

This is unlike the tiny hard plastic balls that are used in airsoft, which present a huge problem to the environment. Even paintballs aren't necessarily the safest for our climate. Gel balls are also less painful to get shot with than airsoft pellets and paintballs. These are two of the reasons so many parents feel safe gifting their children gel blasters.

Possible Hazards Surrounding Water Absorbing Gel Beads

If you have any leftover water beads that you haven't used and are planning to store for another time, you need to make sure that they're stored properly and kept far away from very young children.

As we mentioned before, these water beads are non-toxic. So they're technically safe if you accidentally swallowed them somehow. But, for small children, accidentally swallowing these water beads can be a problem.

Smaller kids may find these colorful crystal balls intriguing and could mistake them for candy, and end up eating them if presented the opportunity. There have been reports of children swallowing over a hundred of these water beads at once, or even putting a gel ball in their ear. Of course, this sounds very frightening - and it is cause for concern. But, there were no fatal occurences.

The water beads are also a possible choking hazard. If anyone successfully swallows the water beads, it could lead to abdominal pain or abdominal swelling. The main worry with these hydro orbs is not really their toxicity. Rather, the issue is being an obstruction in your small child's digestive tract or esophagus.

The worst part is they're incredibly hard to detect since they are clear and mainly made up of water. The swallowed beads won't be detected on x-rays, and it'll take hours before they pass through the child's digestive tract.

In worst-case scenarios, these beads may have to be removed surgically. We don't say this to scare you - just to reiterate how important it is to keep things securely stored. Let's discuss how you can go about doing that.

How To Store Gel Balls Properly And Safely

If you have leftover hydrated water orbs, keeping them in an airtight container will make them last up to two weeks. If you want to make them last up to three months, you need to keep them in a container where they are fully submerged in water. Dry pellets on the other hand can be stored indefinitely.

Wherever you store your gel balls, make sure they are properly sealed and stored in an area where kids can't easily reach them. Better yet, finish all of your hydrated pellets in one game—that way it's safer for everyone and you get to have even more fun!

Remember, gel balls aren't toxic, but if you know that you have small kids in your home and you don't store them properly, this could lead to several problems. As long as you store the gel balls properly and keep an eye on your children you don't have to worry about anything. 

Get Your Gel Blaster Balls & Gellets Today!

Now, you know that get blaster balls are not toxic. And, gel balls are biodegradable! They're safe as can be, especially when securely stored. That's why we are excited to let you know that we are the best place to find Gel Blaster and all your gellets!

Head over to the site to grab your set and enjoy everything this fun activity has to offer. It's safe for the entire family and serves as a great alternative to paintball or even an airsoft alternative.

x